On July 2nd, in 1961, American writer Ernest Hemingway was found in his Idaho home, with a self inflicted gunshot wound through the head. He was 61 years old and is remembered today as a brilliant writer, a WWI veteran and an acclaimed journalist.
Most people tend to focus on Hemingway’s rather low view of women or the fact that he, like so many writers we love, killed himself. The truth, as we see it, is this; Ernest Hemingway documented the world around him. Not unlike the great painter Walter Sickert who boasted that he only painted what he had seen, so we feel it is the same with Hemingway. He wrote what he saw in the vast and adventurous life that he led and in the company he kept.
During the twenties, Hemingway became a member of the group of expatriate Americans in Paris, which greatly influenced his first notable work, The Sun Also Rises, published in 1926.
He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. Hemingway’s lucid prose and sparse dialogue undeniably exerted a powerful influence on American and British fiction in the 20th century. Some of our favorite Hemingway novels include For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Old Man and the Sea, The Sun Also Rises and his collection of short stories published in 1932 Death in the Afternoon.
Love him or hate him, you cannot deny his brilliance! Our favorite Hemingway short story is only 6 words long and is said to be akknowledged by many to be his greatest work:
For sale: baby shoes, never worn.
What did we tell you? Brilliant!
Today we encourage our readers to stay up all night brooding, writing and (responsibly) drinking. Challenge yourselves, write a short story in just six words!
Write on in peace, Mr. Ernest Hemingway.
66 notes ()
- chaostamer likes this
- chinneths likes this
- morganstein likes this
- fraternalfilms likes this
- dragon-kitty likes this
- bumblebeewai reblogged this from deadwriters
- bumblebeewai likes this
- studiophoto1 likes this
- cantcatchabreak likes this
- scribblesbyz likes this
- ttimshel reblogged this from goldensutures
- stoftey likes this
- sorrysnail likes this
- et-l likes this
- goldensutures reblogged this from windlessdream
- arstp reblogged this from awritersruminations
- wolf-eel likes this
- windlessdream reblogged this from awritersruminations and added:
- vibetime reblogged this from deadwriters
- simplyminded reblogged this from deadwriters
- natczwei likes this
- vidyax likes this
- paperboatsonlazyseas likes this
- moonjellyfish reblogged this from awritersruminations
- awritersruminations reblogged this from deadwriters
- awritersruminations likes this
- hotpotofcoffee likes this
- barretta likes this
- limitedjest reblogged this from deadwriters
- turninghome likes this
- voodoochildd likes this
- madiface reblogged this from deadwriters and added:
- apersonthing likes this
- austinimus reblogged this from trxfreely
- hannahzd reblogged this from deadwriters and added:
- justlikethefringeonmyboots reblogged this from deadwriters
- kristen76 reblogged this from deadwriters
- kristen76 likes this
- stevekinney likes this
- borderingoninsanity likes this
- myabsurdexistence reblogged this from deadwriters
- petersantiago likes this
- wiredweird likes this
- nightscapades likes this
- macchola reblogged this from deadwriters
- trxfreely reblogged this from deadwriters and added:
- trxfreely likes this
- skek likes this
- fatmalovestodraw reblogged this from deadwriters
- heelsonfriday likes this